Chilli Con Carne
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 500 grams lean beef or steak mince could use a higher fat content here, but I find it grissly
- 125 ml red wine, stock or water I always use a beef stock cube
- 400 grams tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons chilli powder I use mild for my son and my partner adds chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 400 grams tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and gently fry the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add mince beef and brown all over.
- Add the stock and let it bubble up for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, chilli, cinnamon and oregano.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Spread nachos on a plate.
- Spoon over chilli.
- Cover with grated cheddar.
- Put under a hot grill until the cheese melts.
- Serve with:Boiled rice if wanting a healthy non-CF meal, or on a bed of lightly salted nachos with grated cheese if going for the CF option.
- Watch out, the plate is hot! But dig in!